Monday, November 19, 2012

"Faith isn't believing that God can, it's knowing that He will"

Hi Family!

I know I say literally every week that it went by so fast, but it really does, every time! Every single day seriously flies by. I can't decide if I like that or not.

Monday was the most emotional day I've had since I left the MTC. After I heard about Derrick's accident, I was bummed out all day long. That evening we met with Justin and Stephanie. We had their friends April and Cory come. We watched the talk "The Grandeur of God" by Jeffrey R. Holland with them. Justin said that even though he really liked it, it didn't bring him any closer to having his questions and concerns answered. For some reason, it was a really emotional lesson. I don't know if it was because I was having a hard day already or what, but everyone was very solemn and quiet. I didn't say hardly anything at all because I knew as soon as I started talking I would cry. At one point Stephanie started crying and said, "I feel like I've done all anyone has asked me to do, and I still haven't gotten my answer. It's hard not to feel like God has forgotten me." It just broke my heart. Cory had her read a scripture in Matthew about when Christ was in Gethsemane. He cried out, "God, God, why hast though forsaken me?" Cory told her that maybe she was having these feelings so she would know that Christ has felt the same way too. He promised her God has not forgotten her and he was choked up when he said it. After we left their house we came home and I ran to our room and just started sobbing. Like the nasty, embarrassing, uncontrollable cry where you can't breathe and makeup gets everywhere. Sister Cha came and sat next to me on the floor and cried with me. I was sad about Derrick and wishing I could do something, and sad about Stephanie and wishing she didn't feel the way she did. Before I went to bed I wrote a note to Stephanie in my "Forget Me Not" book that someone gave me a couple months ago so I could drop it off for Stephanie later in the week.

Tuesday was way better than Monday. We met with Ashley and asked if she was still planning on talking to her parents when she went home for Thanksgiving about whether or not she could get baptized and she said she was. I told her we'd taught her all we have to teach her, so we went over the baptismal interview questions with her. She did so great. Her testimony is growing and it's cool to see it happen. Then I invited her to be baptized on December 1st and she said yes! She's the very first person I've put on date. It was pretty fantastic. We knelt and prayed right there and asked Heavenly Father if December 1st was a good date. It was the best experience. After she said "amen" she started crying and said she felt really excited and overwhelmed, but in a good way. She was still excited to talk to her parents about it, which had been worrying her. We sat in silence for a little bit and she just kept smiling and saying, "Oh my gosh I'm so excited." We taught Connor and Tabitha in the afternoon and everything went well. On our way home at night we got a text from Ashley saying she had just decided to go ahead and call her parents and they said she could get baptized! Sister Cha and I stopped in the street and hugged and screamed and jumped around. Hooray for Ashley!

Wednesday was Zone Conference. The theme scripture was 3 Nephi 5:13, "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." We all had to prepare a 3-5 minute talk, but I didn't end up giving mine. So here it is!

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God." I am a pupil, a learner, a follower of Christ. I look to Him in every thought and try my best to do what He would do it. I wear His name proudly over my heart and strive to honor it. I am a representative of Jesus Christ. "I have been called of Him." My call came from the Lord, through His prophet. It is no accident that I am in the Utah Provo Mission. I'm not filling a spot, I am not a statistic. I am a servant of the Lord. I am not a perfect teacher, or an eloquent speaker. I am inadequate and most days entirely incapable. But because I have been called, I have been qualified. I have been called of Jesus Christ and I'll go where He wants me to go. "I have been called of Him to declare His word." I am here to declare, preach, proclaim, share, and rejoice in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I will tell everyone willing to listen that He is the Light and Life of the world. The knowledge I have of the restoration of truth, the plan of salvation, and the gospel of Jesus Christ has changed my life, and I want to share that joy with everyone. "I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." I want every person to know that they are a child of a loving Heavenly Father, and that He has a plan of them. He wants them to come back to Him. And it is through His son, our brother Jesus Christ, that this life and the next are possible. Heavenly Father doesn't want just some of us back - He wants us all. It is incredible to me that even though we are nothing compared to the vastness of the universe, we mean absolutely everything to God, the most powerful Being, the Master of all. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. And because of all He has done for me, 18 months of my life dedicated to Him, will never seem like enough. But I know that in this short time we have, we can make a difference. We are here because there are people who we promised before this life that we would come find them and bring them home. I pray that we spend our time diligently seeking these people, that we live what we preach, and that we act as effective instruments in the Master's hands as we carry out His great work. I know the message we share is true and I know of the happiness it brings. I say so in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

Probably the most important thing I learned at Zone Conference was that I need to rely less on my own knowledge and abilities, and more on the Spirit. I've discovered that mastering humility is so hard. I realize that I can't do this on my own and that I need the Spirit in order to teach, but it's hard to rely completely on Him to know what to say and do. I don't know why I struggle with that so much. But I'm trying to be better at listening and asking inspired questions. At the end of Zone Conference, the Elders who are going home this transfer (Lopez and Hifo) bore their testimonies. After Elder Hifo's, he, Elders Va'enukum, Manumá, Reher, and Walters sang this really preeeeetty song called "How Can I Be?" Then President McCune left us with his powerful blessing and we went home. He's the best. I'm gonna miss that guy when I go to Spain.

 Thursday we met with Ashley and she told us more good news. She's been talking to her parents more and her mom is actually going to fly out for her baptism! We started planning her program and she's super excited. Less than 2 weeks away!

On Friday we had dinner with the Drake family. They have 3 young kids and they're pretty cute and probably going to turn into the Gills in terms of how often we see them. Haha I love finding awesome families who we get along with. Then it was time for TABITHA'S BAPTISM!


She was so so so so happy - a smile was smeared across her face the whooooooole night. We got to meet her baby Zach (who turns a year on Sunday) and he actually received his baby blessing that night! It was pretty neat. We took her out for ice cream afterwards and she's the happiest in the whole world.


This week has gotten so much better since Monday. I think Heavenly Father is doing a pretty good job of helping me not be distracted by Derrick's accident. So I'm grateful for that! Saturday night we actually ate with Elder Starks' parents! I got a letter from him on Thursday I think and it made my day. At first I thought it was from Hadley because they have the exact same handwriting. Haha but it wasn't (Hadley, that's a sign you need to write me!). They took us to Chuck-a-rama and we ate and talked and had the best time. I like those people!

Sunday was super busy. We had four sacrament meeting to go to (three of which we spoke in), four correlation meetings to go to, and three teaching appointments. It was nuts. But it was good because this week is going to be so slow with everyone gone for Thanksgiving. This week we have a service project planned for tomorrow and then Thursday is Thanksgiving. We're having a turkey bowl in the morning with our zone and then we have two dinners to go to. It's a non-proselyting day, so we'll just be visiting families in the ward and eating too much food. I'm excited though. I love Thanksgiving.

I love you alllllllllllll!

Love,
Hermana Munden

No comments:

Post a Comment