Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happy 1 month to meeee!

I can't believe I've hit my one month mark. This has been the busiest/best month of my life. I had a couple really cool experiences with some of our investigators this week. I think I mentioned Idalid; we found her just one day knocking. She's incredible, and somewhat of a "golden investigator." The hard thing with her is finding a time when she's home. I don't think she understands that when we make appointments with her, that means we will be coming over at that time, because she's usually not home. But every time she is, she lets us in and we have an awesome lesson. She's so interested and willing and already has such great faith! We visited her on Wednesday and talked a lot about prayer. The three of us bore testimony of the power of prayer and why it's a commandment. We taught her the way we pray and asked if she'd pray with us. At first she said she was too embarrassed, but after we showed her a simple example, she prayed herself! It was so cool. We left her with the Introduction to the Book of Mormon to read and pray about and she said she would. We haven't seen her since Wednesday because she hasn't been home, but I'm so excited to go back!


That same day we had an appointment with this woman named Doris. She's in her mid-20's and hasn't been progressing. This time we asked her directly if she was interested in our church and just as directly she said, "Honestly, no." Dropping investigators is so sad, but we always let them know that we're still here for them and care about them. Even though Doris isn't interested, we've started teaching her sister-in-law, Kelly. She's 26 and here from Venezuela learning English. She lives with 3 members who go to BYU. She's most interested about the Book of Mormon so we started talking about that, along with prayer. She listens so intently, asks questions, wants to come to church, and the Spirit is always so strong when we're with her. We have an appointment with her tonight at 6, which we're all pretty excited about.


We had another really awesome lesson with Michele. Her daughter Lucia has been sitting in on lessons which is also really cool. Lucia speaks more English than Spanish, so the English Elders in our area teach her (and her boyfriend Anthony), but we still always welcome her in our lessons and even though she's kind of quiet, I know she's listening. Towards the end of the lesson, Lucia goes, "I'm gonna be honest. When I first heard of the Mormons I thought you guys were crazy. I really did. But when I read the Book of Mormon I get this feeling. It's the same feeling I get when you and the Elders come into our house. It's a safe feeling. It's comforting. Like even though when I wake up in the morning and think today's going to be another bad day, I can go to sleep knowing that everything will be okay. It's a feeling that tells me that God loves me and is looking out for me. It's making me a different person. I don't really know how to explain it, but I don't want it to go away." Oh my goodness. It was the best thing in the world. I love Lucia and Michele.


Last night we went tracting after dinner because all of our appointments fell through and we ran into this crazy cat lady. She has 20 something cats and I guess animal control has been called a few times. She's sweet, but extremely odd. She asked us to come in and leave her with a prayer of health and safety. And she asked me to say it. It was super awkward and I had no idea what to say that would make this crazy cat lady feel safe and healthy, but she really appreciated it so I guess that's all that matters! Haha she told us she served a mission, but her neighbor said she's never been baptized, so I'm not quite positive she's all the way there. Her neighbor is really cool though. She's 26 and from Brazil and is a single mom. She's a member and she said she'd feed us whenever we want! She also is the manager of the Forever 21 in Orem and said she'd hook us up with some free clothes. Hooray for that.


Speaking of food, oh my gosh. I wanna die. I think we're gonna try to cut our dinners with members down to only 3 days a week because we just can't handle all the food. Haha it's good, but way too much. And they get offended when we don't eat it all. We go to the faculty gym at BYU every morning though, so that makes the situation a little better. I'm going to enjoy that luxury while it lasts.


One of my companions has been struggling lately. I think she really misses home and has had a couple down days this week. We brought one of her family friends with us to teach a lesson and afterwards when we walked Maria home, Maria grabbed her, and in the most loving, firm way, she said, "When you get back to your apartment, go answer these three questions... One, who are you? Two, why are you here? Three, what is your goal? And when you have a bad day, read your answers." It was awesome. So the next day during personal study, I answered those questions for myself. This is what I came up with. Who am I? I am a daughter of God. I am literally the daughter of a king and an heir to a royal throne. I have a divine heritage. Jesus Christ, the most perfect man to ever walk the Earth, is my brother, friend, and my Savior. I am a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am a servant of the Lord. I am His hands in the great work of gathering His lost sheep. I am a Mormon. I am a representative of Jesus Christ and I wear his name proudly. Why am I here? I am here because I love God. I am here because after all Christ sacrificed for me, and all His selfless love has allowed me to do, 18 months of my life dedicated to Him will never seem like enough. I am here because I want to be. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I want to share my knowledge of truth, happiness, peace, and love with everyone that will listen. I am here because I have been called by God himself, through a living prophet, to serve the people of Provo Utah and Madrid Spain. What is my goal? My goal is to invite as many people as I can to come unto Christ, and to show them the goodness of the Gospel. My goal is to love others with all my heart; to care less about myself and more about them. My goal is to help people see, recognize, and feel the love God has for them and that their life has great purpose. My goal is to change - to be truly converted unto the Lord. My goal is to make myself, my mission presidents, my family, and ultimately, my Heavenly Father proud.


Love,

Hermana Munden

No comments:

Post a Comment