Wednesday, October 10, 2012

One week down, and not enough to go



Oh my goodness gracious. I don't even know where to start. I LOVE being a missionary. It's just about my favorite thing in the world. Let's start with General Conference. HOW ABOUT THAT MISSIONARY ANNOUNCEMENT? I'm pretty sure there were probably gasps all around the world. How exciting! I would've gone on a mission in a second if I could have two years ago. I think a lot more young people (as Grandpa Wayne would call them) will be going on missions now that the age limit has been reduced - especially sister missionaries. I love love looooved the rest of Conference. I heard all the things I needed to and was super uplifted and re-motivated. I don't know if you watched the Sunday morning session, but if you did, I was on the TV! During "Called to Serve" the camera panned over the section of missionaries right in front and you could definitely see us for like 5 seconds. It was so incredible to be in the same building as the Prophet and so many other General Authorities. Before the session started we got to talk to and hug the General Primary President and a couple members of the Seventy and their wives. They all were so appreciative of our service and it was neat to get to meet them.

The funniest thing from this week happened on Saturday. Sometimes we park in the Taco Bell parking lot to either go to the bathroom or because it's a convenient location to leave our car while we walk to investigator's homes. We had just come out of Taco Bell and were getting back in our car when we saw this guy ride up on his motorcycle. The back of his shirt said Wilson and he had gauges in his ears. We figured he wasn't a member, so Hermana Soto was like, "Hermanas, let's go teach him!" But right after she said that he rode off on his bike; literally no more than two minutes later he drove back and parked his bike again. Hermana Soto goes, "Oh my gosh it's a sign!" So while deciding whether or not to give him a Book of Mormon, I say, ""I think that kid could use the Gospel," and Hermana Soto goes, "Hermana, the whole world could use the Gospel, but you're right - especially Wilson." We about died of laughter. It was so funny. Now we call him Wilson because that's what his shirt said, even though we don't know his real name. While he was still inside Taco Bell we ran out and placed a Book of Mormon on his bike and moved our car to a less obvious location to watch what happened. He came outside, picked up the book, looked around, kept it, and sped away. Who knows what will happen, but it was a pretty funny (and hopefully productive) moment.


This week has been good. We usually teach 3 or 4 lessons a day. It's hard because a lot of people are too nice to tell us that they don't want us to come back and teach them, so we make an appointment and then when we come back they're not home or they make up an excuse as to why we can't come in. It's kinda sad. But we do have 4 or 5 progressing investigators, which is really cool! There's this couple, Michele and Nelson who we've been teaching. They seem really interested. They keep all their commitments, and are reading and praying which is so so good. The Spirit is so strong in our lessons with them. It's cute because Michele has all these cards and things marking spots in her Book of Mormon and she shares with us cool stuff she read. She says she likes taking her kids fishing because it's the only time she has where she can just sit down by herself, and read from the Book of Mormon and Bible. It's awesome. She has a baptism date set for October 27th, so hopefully we can get her to church with us a few times before then so she can be baptized. There's another guy named Adao whose baptism is scheduled for a week from Saturday! We went over the baptismal interview questions with him on Thursday and it was so awesome to hear his testimony of all these things like Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith, a modern day prophet, the Word of Wisdom, and everything else we've taught him. His faith is incredible and I can't wait to see him get baptized! Eddie is my other favorite investigator. He's just 15 years old, has read the whole Book of Mormon, goes to seminary, and is so, so eager to learn. On Thursday we taught him the Plan of Salvation and spent time answering his questions. Before we left we readdressed the issue of baptism. We knelt down with him and he offered a prayer about whether or not baptism is the right thing for him. At one point he said, "God I believe in you. I know you're there and whatever you ask of me, I'll do. Thank you for sending these sisters to me." It was all Hermana Alley and I could do not to cry. Prayers of sincere investigators are so powerful. The other day when we called him to see how his prayers about baptism were going he told us that he wants to get baptized in the Catholic church first and then in the Mormon church. So that was a little disappointing and confusing, but we have an appointment with him tonight so we'll talk to him about that.


It's incredible how much people in Provo love the missionaries. We get so much free food it's insane. It's awesome. I probably shouldn't get too used to it though since that's never gonna happen in Spain. Speaking of Spain, I still haven't heard anything. I'm okay with that though because I love it here in Provo.


Jessie Drake lives in our area so I'm going to try and see if she wants to come out and teach with us sometime - especially because she can go on a mission in less than a year if she wants to! I love and miss you all.


Love,

Hermana Munden

No comments:

Post a Comment